Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) is a wonderful herb with many well documented health benefits. The key ingredients in licorice include glycyrrhizin, flavonoids and phytoestrogens.
- Licorice is known for its anti-allergenic benefits hence is popularly used in treating hay fever, allergic rhinitis and even bronchitis. It also helps in loosening and thinning the mucus and relieves coughs.
- Licorice is known as a soothing agent for the stomach. It helps in killing harmful bacteria, reduces stomach cramps and heals ulcers.
- The phytoestrogens in licorice helps maintain the levels of estrogen in the body. This is especially beneficial during menopause. This nature of the herb also reduces PMS symptoms.
- Licorice has also been seen to lower the levels of testosterone in blood. This is due to the glycyrrhizin present in it. Due to this property the herb is considered remedial in treating symptoms of PCOS amongst women with higher levels of testosterone.However due this property, the herb can worsen infertility amongst males.
- The herb has a cortisol raising effect which helps in relieving inflammation and fevers.
- Anti-inflammatory and skin lightening effect of licorice also makes it useful in treating numerous skin conditions such as eczema and melasma.
- Glycycoumarin (GCM), a representative coumarin in licorice, is well known for its hepato-protective effects.
Written By: Dr. Chhavi
Edited By: R. Msiska