Doctors say, gastroparesis is stomach paralysis, where the stomach is unable to function in normal movements. It’s not always gastroparesis if your stomach is upset most of the time and not emptying properly but yes, it can be. The gastric emptying study is the best way to diagnose gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is more commonly diagnosed in women than in men.
Factors that can also cause stomach paralysis are:
- Abdominal surgery
- Low thyroid
- Scleroderma (tissue disease)
However, no cause can be found for gastroparesis in a majority of people which is termed as idiopathic gastroparesis, and it is the most common cause of gastroparesis only second to Diabetes.
Symptoms of gastroparesis are:
- Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are the primary symptoms of gastroparesis.
- Feeling full without consuming food for an entire day.
- Lack of appetite
- Sudden weight loss
- Feeling dehydrated all the time
There is no direct cure to gastroparesis but we can fight the symptoms.
- Hence, for starters curb the symptoms of nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
- Maintain the nutrition level required by the body.
- Consume food items which are easy on the stomach.
- Stimulate muscle activity in the stomach so that food digestion is proper and passes through the intestine.
However, if you think gastroparesis is not serious then think again, being on a liquid diet and getting all necessary nutrients by a feeding tube is not at all easy.
However, any ignorance of these symptoms can lead to death.
Consult a doctor as soon as the above symptoms appear.
Written by: A. Chavan
Edited by: J. Dias