Salmonella is a type of bacteria that causes illness in humans and animals. There are 32 strains of salmonella bacteria and almost all of these are non-typhoidal and less fatal except the only known typhoidal salmonella i.e. the salmonella typhi bacteria. The common term for infection by salmonella typhi bacteria is typhoid fever. Typhoid fever is at an all-time rise in the world especially in the western countries like U.S.A where every year there are at least around 1.2 million and 450 deaths due to salmonella infections. Mostly children and elderly people are affected by typhoid fever which in extreme cases may even lead to death.
Causes of Salmonella Infections :-
- Salmonella bacteria live in the intestine of animals, poultry and humans, hence consumption of contaminated meat, poultry or fish may transmit the bacteria.
- International travel, especially to countries with poor sanitation probably may increase the rate of typhoid fever.
- Taking antacids regularly lowers the concentration of stomach acids which affects the stomach’s ability to destroy harmful bacteria like the salmonella bacteria.
- Similarly, people suffering from HIV, sickle cell disease, and other immune weakening diseases are more prone to typhoid fever.
- High Fever
- Sub-responsive consciousness known as typhoid state
Natural ways to prevent salmonella Infections:-
Lime Juice:-Medical researchers have proven that lime juice inhibits the growth of salmonella bacteria. Hence they are also very useful to eliminate the bacteria from foods.
Regular Consumption of Probiotics:- A way to give to the immune system a chance to fight back is by consuming probiotics regularly. So eating probiotic foods probably won’t affect the salmonella bacteria but by its regular consumption, microbes will be strengthened and the body will be able to ward off the bacteria.
Cilantro:- Research has shown that the compound deodecenal present in Cilantro destroys the salmonella bacteria. Hence, it is very beneficial to include this herb in regular diets as it can protect the body against Salmonella.
Most importantly, once the symptoms of typhoid fever have surfaced the best thing to do is to consult a doctor without any delay as salmonella infection requires immediate and rigorous treatment.
Written by J.Dias